Home > Uncategorized > Woman Accused of 23-Year-Old Kidnapping Confesses

Woman Accused of 23-Year-Old Kidnapping Confesses

Shock and dismay are still reverberating over the news of a woman who was reunited with her birth mother 23 years after she was kidnapped from Harlem Hospital when she was just over two weeks old.

Carlina White, 23, is back with her biological family in the Bronx, after searching the internet when she was unable to find her birth certificate or Social Security card. White also believed that she did not resemble members of her family.

Via Amsterdam News. More below.


Coming across a photo of herself as an infant on the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children’s website, White researched news stories about the kidnapping. A DNA test confirmed that her assumptions were true.

The woman accused of kidnapping White and raising her, Annugetta Pettway, 49, surrendered to authorities on Sunday in Bridgeport, Conn. on a probation violation. She was charged with federal kidnapping and faced the U.S. district attorney in Lower Manhattan on Monday. She is currently being held without bail.

According to court documents, in August 1987 White’s biological mother and father, Joy White and Carl Tyson, took their daughter to Harlem Hospital when she was 19 days old and had her admitted with a fever. In the early morning hours of the day after she was admitted, hospital personnel discovered White was missing.

On Monday, Pettway admitted to her role in the abduction in federal court. During an interview with the FBI, Pettway said she was having difficulty having children of her own and had had several miscarriages. She took White from Harlem Hospital, taking her back to Bridgeport where she raised her as her own, telling her family and friends the baby was hers. Pettway also confessed to a failed attempt at creating a fake birth certificate for White.

Pettway is charged with one count of federal kidnapping and could face 20 years to life in prison and a fine of up to $250,000. In her interview, Pettway said she was “truly sorry” for what she did, but did not enter a plea because there was no indictment. She’s scheduled to appear back in court on Feb. 7.

Categories: Uncategorized Tags:
  1. No comments yet.
  1. No trackbacks yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: